Authorities say 13-year-old armed with replica handgun fatally shot by police after chase in upstate New York

Police shot and killed a 13-year-old boy after a chase in upstate New York after the teen brandished what appeared to be a handgun, Utica police said in a statement . Police later said the teen was carrying a replica handgun.

Police arrested two teenagers around 10 p.m. local time Friday in Utica, a city of about 65,000 in upstate New York about an hour’s drive from Syracuse, the police said. police. As authorities questioned the teens, one of them fled on foot, according to the release.

As he ran, police spotted what “appeared to be a handgun” and pointed the finger at officers. One of the officers fired his gun and struck the teen, described as an Asian man. He received immediate first aid from officers and was transported to Wynn Hospital, where he died of his injuries, Utica Police Chief Mark Williams said during a press conference Saturday morning.

Officers said they found a replica Glock handgun with a detachable magazine after the shooting.

“That replica handgun ultimately turned out to be a pellet gun,” Williams said.

Utica police later identified the deceased, 13, as Nyah Mway. The name of the officer who shot him has not been released. An interpreter was present at the press conference to provide translation for the victim’s family and community in attendance, so they could better understand the information provided.

The ethnicity of the victim’s family has not been identified, but Utica has resettled large numbers of refugees in recent years. According to the Mohawk Valley Resource Center for Refugees, one of the largest numbers of Asian refugees resettled by Utica are from Burma, including the Karen ethnic group as well as other groups. Other Asian refugees include Vietnamese, Thais, Cambodians as well as Bosnians, Dominicans and others, the center said. Just over 19 percent of the residents of this once rapidly declining industrial city are now foreign-born, the center said.

“This tragedy reminds us of the enormous challenges facing our community, especially our law enforcement partners, who work tirelessly to keep our streets safe,” Utica City School District Interim Superintendent Dr. Kathleen Davis said in a statement Saturday.

A social media video relating to the incident has been circulating online. Regarding the video, police said: “We are aware of a video of the incident circulating on social media platforms, which does not depict the incident in its entirety. »

Police said they are investigating the shooting and will release related material in the coming days, including a critical incident account and full body camera footage. The chief said during the news conference that the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.

Leave a Comment