Iran threatens war if Israel launches against Hezbollah

Iran threatens “annihilating war” if Israel unleashes widespread conflict against Hezbollah in Lebanon.

The thunderous warning came after the Israeli military struck several Hezbollah targets on Friday in retaliation for the Iran-backed terror group’s rocket barrage launched into northern Israel earlier in the day.

“Should [Israel] “Embark on a full-scale military aggression, an annihilating war will ensue,” the Iranian UN mission said in a message on X on Friday evening.

Iran has threatened to unleash a “annihilating war” if Israel launches a large-scale attack against Hezbollah in Lebanon. AFP via Getty Images
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin discussed efforts to defuse the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah to avoid a two-front war with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and other officials at the White House on Tuesday. P.A.

The statement said Iran viewed Israeli threats against Hezbollah as “psychological warfare” and “propaganda,” but added that should Israel “engage in a full-scale military aggression, a war of annihilation would ensue.”

The statement continued that “all options, including the full involvement of all resistance fronts, are on the table”, referring to its “Axis of Resistance” which includes Hezbollah, Hamas and the Houthis in Yemen, supported by Tehran.

Skirmishes have ravaged Israel’s northern border with Lebanon in the nine months since Hamas launched its deadly attack on the Jewish state on October 7. Tens of thousands of Israelis have evacuated the northern region for fear of a similar attack by Hezbollah, which launches near-daily missile strikes across the border in solidarity with Hamas in Gaza.

Concerns that the conflict in the north could escalate into all-out war have increased in recent weeks after Israel killed a senior Hezbollah commander, prompting the terror group to retaliate with rocket fire.

Rockets launched from Lebanon are intercepted by Israel on June 27, 2024. REUTERS/Ayal Margolin

U.S. officials are trying to de-escalate violence with Hezbollah to prevent the fighting from escalating into a two-front war, while working to secure a cease-fire agreement between Israel and Hamas, the Washington Post reported.

Hezbollah has said that ending the war in Gaza is essential to ending fighting on the Lebanese border, although U.S. officials have suggested, without providing details, that there may be other alternatives that do not require a cease-fire agreement with Hamas.

Meanwhile, U.S. envoys recently presented new language for a proposed hostage truce deal after Hamas earlier this month rejected the three-phase plan presented by the White House and approved by the Hamas cabinet. Israeli war, now disbanded, Axios reported.

US envoys presented new language to try to reach a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas. ZUMAPRESS.com

The United States, alongside Qatari and Egyptian mediators, is focused on amending a part of the ceasefire agreement, known as Article 8, which concerns negotiations that are expected to take place during a six-week ceasefire in the first phase of the deal.

“The United States is working very hard to find a formula that will allow us to reach an agreement,” a source told Axios.

The proposal states that the first phase of the deal would involve a six-week grant in exchange for Hamas’ release of the living women, elderly and sick of the remaining 116 hostages who were kidnapped in October. 7. All other living hostages still held in Gaza, including young men and male soldiers, would be released during the second phase of the agreement.

Smoke from the village of Shihin in southern Lebanon after the Israeli bombardment on June 28, 2024. Photo by KAWNAT HAJU/AFP via Getty Images

Hamas, however, wants negotiations during the first phase of the ceasefire agreement to focus solely on the exchange of Palestinian prisoners for live male hostages; Israel, for its part, seeks to address the demilitarization of Gaza during this first stage of the talks, as well as other issues.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Israel’s Channel 14 that he was only interested in a “partial” deal with Hamas that would see the release of some of the hostages and allow Israel to continue its fighting in Gaza.

The next day, he retracted his statement and reaffirmed his commitment to the ceasefire proposal.

In other news:

  • The United Nations has begun distributing food aid brought to Gaza via the U.S.-built floating pier for the first time since June 9, when aid was suspended due to security concerns, NBC News reported.
  • The Biden administration has shipped Israel more than 10,000 devastating 2,000-pound bombs, thousands of Hellfire missiles and other munitions in large numbers since the start of the Gaza war, according to Reuters.

With post wires.

Leave a Comment